Dear Parent / Carer
You may be aware that late yesterday the Government announced changes to the start of next term, alongside plans for schools and College to administer mass Covid testing.
The new arrangements for start of term are:
- Staff training day is on the 4th January 2021, so no teaching is taking place.
- Yr13 students return for lessons as normal on Tuesday 5th January.
- Yr12 students are to remain at home for remote learning from the 5th January – 8th January 2021.
- Yr12 teaching will take place via Microsoft Teams. All students are required to join their first lesson of the week, for each subject, via Teams.
- On completion of the first lesson the teacher will inform students how the remaining lessons for the week are used, i.e. live Teams teaching throughout the week, a mixture of live and set work, small group workshops, 1:1’s etc.
- We are keen the week is as ‘normal’ as it can be.
In relation to the mass testing, although we have identified an area of the College where we will be able to administer the proposed testing, we await further necessary advice and information before being able to proceed with this initiative.
I hope this provides you with the information you require prior to the start of the New Year.
As you can imagine, this isn’t the communication I thought I would be sending on the last day of term. However, I would like to reflect on some important points from this term. Despite all the challenges, the generosity of spirit shown in the last week has been incredible. Our students have lived the values and ethos of the college by donating to our local food bank, raising money for Alzheimer’s Awareness, putting on a socially distanced end of term Christmas concert and held a dress up day. Alongside 15 continuous weeks teaching and learning, there is much to be thankful for.
On behalf of everyone at Abbeygate Sixth Form College best wishes to you and your families and have a lovely Christmas and New Year.