Travelling to College
The Eastern College Group (Abbeygate Sixth Form College, One Sixth Form College, University Studies at West Suffolk College and West Suffolk College) are reviewing their transport provision across the region and have asked for as many parents and guardians as possible, including those who think that transport for their area is not available, to complete this short survey.
It’s a short survey, asking for only the key information, which could potentially improve the transport provision for your child.
There are a number of bus routes which provide easy access for students from a wide area. Please refer to www.suffolkonboard.com for more details.
For more information on routes, please click below:
We operate three buses from Soham, Diss and Haverhill.
- Soham bus route - Soham, Fordham, Burwell, Exning, Newmarket, West Suffolk College
- Diss bus route - Diss, Eye, Debenham, Stonham Aspal, Forward Green, Stowupland, Stowmarket, West Suffolk College
- Haverhill bus route
for bus travel until July 2023
Please click here to purchase a bus pass to use ONLY on the above routes.
For the rest of the spring term, until Easter, the following passes will be available to purchase below.
Prices of the passes for each route are:
- Term ticket: 2 days - £200 per term
- Term ticket: 3 days - £250 per term
- Term ticket: 5 days - £300 per term
Journey passes are only valid on the route they are purchased for and students will be asked to show their Student ID with their pass on boarding.
*A journey is one inward or one outward journey to/from college.
for bus travel from September 2023
Keep an eye out for exciting new routes and prices to make it more affordable and flexible for you to travel to and from college - from more places. Coming soon.
Chambers online passes and other discounts
If you travel via a Chambers bus, you can apply for a online pass which can be used via the Hedingham and Chambers app. For students applying for a Bursary, please do not apply for a pass as one will be sent to you if awarded.
Some of the bus companies who provide the bus services on behalf of Suffolk County Council offer their own discounts and travel passes for students:
Are you aged 16-19?
If so, with a cashless Endeavour Card you can get at least 25% discount off full price adult fares on participating bus services.
- It is for anyone aged 16-19 in full time learning or work with training
- 25% discount with most bus services in Suffolk (e.g. Connecting Communities)
- The card is free and will include a picture of you and your date of birth
- Cashless card that can be topped up electronically via endeavour.suffolkonboard.com
Apply for Endeavour Card*Please note all buses / coaches which stop at Abbeygate Sixth Form College, collect from outside the main campus on Out Risbygate. If you are studying at The Milburn Campus or STEM Innovation Campus then you will have to allow for time, following your studying to get to the appropriate stops.
Bury St Edmunds has a train station, which is a 20 minute walk from the main college campus.
- Walking directions from train station (Google Maps)
For more information on routes, please click below:
Help with train travel costs
There are two rail cards which are available to our students, to help with travel costs:
- The 16 - 17 Saver card is £30 and is valid for one year or until your 18th birthday, whichever comes first. As a card holder you can enjoy 50% off standard anytime, off-peak, advanced and season rail tickets helping you save money on trips into town, days out to the coast, travel to college or weekend festivals - as many times as you like. Find out more and how to apply at www.16-17saver.co.uk
- The 16-25 Railcard can save you up to 1/3 off a wide range of tickets, along with days out, restaurants, hotels and much more. Find out more and how to apply at www.16-25railcard.co.uk
The main campus is a ten minute walk from the centre of Bury St Edmunds, on the road leading to Newmarket (A14).
We encourage all our students and staff to lead a healthy and active lifestyle and where possible, to cycle to college. We have a number of covered places across the campus, where you can keep your bikes secure.
Suffolk County Council offers information on cycle routes within suffolk, and you can also plan the safest journey on cyclestreets.net. For details on how to download the CycleStreets app, visit cyclestreets.net/mobile
Cars, Motorcycles and Scooters
Parking facilities are available at the campus. Parking at Abbeygate Sixth Form College is currently free and a permit can be obtained from Reception.
Travel Costs Assistance
Suffolk County Council may offer assistance with travel arrangements through the council's Post 16 Discretionary Travel Scheme. Further details and how to apply can be found on Suffolk on Board.
Alternatively Abbeygate Sixth Form College may be able to assist students through the 16-19 Bursary Fund available by application and eligibility is dependent on personal circumstances.
Please be aware that financial support is dependant on government legislation and is therefore subject to change. Whatever your circumstances, you can always consult with us before applying for any course.
Apply for a College BursaryPlease click the links for details on how to apply for travel assistance from the following county councils: